Thursday, May 14, 2015

Adoption Mother's Day Card (and quilt!)

Good morning! I don't know if anyone remembers, but in the past several years I know I have talked a little bit here and there about my brother and sis-in-law and their efforts to adopt. It has been an incredibly LONG road for them, but a few weeks ago, 1,464 days or 53 months after they began this journey, they finally have a referral and a beautiful photo of a sweet little girl. I wish I could share it here, but have to wait until everything is official and final! They still have a few months before they can go to China to bring her home, but we are all praying for her and loving the sweet photos we have! She is going to have two older brothers that will soon be spoiling her, and a bunch of aunts and uncles that will be doing our best to help! :) 

My mom has made beautiful quilts for each of her grandchildren, and as soon as she could she pulled out her sewing machine and got to work making a super sweet quilt for her. She asked me to make a card for Mother's Day card specifically for the soon-to-be new mom (again!) - to celebrate this year of the waiting soon coming to an end. I photographed the card with the quilt so you could see them together! My hubby, daughters and I are actually over visiting them in Hawaii this week, so we were able to take this over with us and present it to them in person!


I usually struggle with making cards for something or someone specific - but I am so happy with how this came out! I used Unity Stamp Company's Born in my Heart stamp set - LOVE that they have this set! I paired it with the Happy Mother's Day sentiment from the April 2014 Kit of the Month, and some of the lovely florals from Blossoming Thoughts & Wishes. I tore the top edge, and used Lil' Inker's Border Builders Die set to cut the pretty scallop on the bottom. I added the sentiment on vellum by attaching it with machine stitching, then adding a row on the top as well, then a bit of glitter washi tape and a tiny heart (leftover from another Mother's Day Card - the negative from Lil' Inker's Mom Word Die) with a tiny Tim Holtz paper clip. Finished off with some pattern paper from Pebbles Cottage Living Paper pad and a few Pretty Pink Posh sequins.


I am also linking this up with Unity Friends with Flair - assuming I remember in between hanging out at the beach and such! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by today and for letting me share! When things are finalized later this year and they have their sweet girl home and in their arms, you can be sure I will be sharing some photos! Can't wait!

26 comments:

  1. How very exciting! What an answer to prayer, and how special this gift is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt and card...so happy to hear this wonderful news both for your brother and SIL but also for the baby girl who will be part of a new loving family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. I love the soft baby girl colors
    I saw this on Unity FWF, but I would have seen it anyway because I follow you.Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful card and quilt and wonderful news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card and wonderful news. You must all be so happy. May they all have a wonderful life together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story! Can't wait to see pictures in a few months. Your card (& mom's quilt) are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so wonderful!!! Beautiful, heartwarming story! All the best to your bro and SIl! Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and so very sweet! Love the story and LOVE this card ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice sentiment and card to go with the sweet quilt, such a happy day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pink and white awning stripe paper you used. Really adorable and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely card Heather. Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Heather. Your card is beautiful and the verse is just priceless! I love that SOMEONE has such a stamp! Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and heartfelt card and quilt. Congrats on the precious family addition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely card to go with this beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful,so pretty in pink.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw your project at Unity's FWF and came over for a closer look...
    Thanks for sharing your sweet story. Your personalized card is perfect.
    Crafty hugs,
    Dawn
    DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sweet and beautiful. Thank you for sharing the story behind the card. Our God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This card is beautiful. I never knew this set existed. I must get it.

    ReplyDelete