Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Guest Designing at Virginia's View Challenge - Embossing!

Good morning! I’m super excited and honored to be guest designing today over at Virginia’s View Challenge! Virginia is always inspiring, kind, and ever so encouraging to everyone that plays along! 

I made 3 cards today using this month’s technique – embossing! There are SOOOO many different ways to incorporate this on your cards, so I decided to hit on several! :)

First up, one fun technique I came up with – embossing on vellum in black, then coloring with Copic Markers to give a stained glass effect:


I used a Unity Stamp Company image from the February Kit of the Month – images with dark solid lines work best for this. Color quickly with your Copics for this technique, or the color will show lines – I think this is because the ink dries so quickly on the vellum! Here is a close up of the butterfly:


I also used one of my other favorite techniques combined with embossing – watercolors! I heat embossed my sentiment from the same kit on watercolor paper, then used watercolor paints to color around it. Finally, I also debossed the solid cardstock with a couple of Papertrey Ink Impression Plates



Linking this first one up with the current Simon Says Monday Challenge - B is for...(butterfly):


Next up, I started thinking about different ways to incorporate embossing, and it hit me – Embossing Paste! Since embossing is all about adding dimension and texture, embossing paste is a perfect medium!


For this one, I used distress ink to blend a roughly shaped square on the front of my white cardstock, then used white embossing paste and a Hero Arts stencil. I also love heat embossing my sentiments on black cardstock – makes them pop so well, and adds a great grounding to the cute little Lawn Fawn image from Let's Play that I colored with Copics and fussy cut out before adhering with foam adhesive.


Finally, I thought I would try one with good old fashioned dry embossing!


I used an older embossing folder from my stash that is just so classic. Polka dots go with EVERYTHING! Matted it with a pinked edge die from Avery Elle, added another adorable Lawn Fawn image with a bit of vellum at the bottom to ground it, then again, heat embossed my sentiment on black cardstock and hand trimmed a banner.



Also linking up this last one to the current Lawnscaping Challenge - Dots and Stripes:


Thanks for stopping by – and thanks SOOOO much Virginia for inviting me! I am truly honored! And I hope you will join along and play this month with whatever form of embossing is your favorite – or stretch yourself and try something new! :) 

9 comments:

  1. Love your inspirational quote on the butterfly card. The pup is too adorable on that slide. I love the colors you used and it is just so pleasing to the eye!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of your inspirational cards. That butterfly card is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw these over at Virginia's View and just wanted to pop by here to say how wonderful they are! Gorgeous stained glass look with your butterfly and two fantastic backgrounds! Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, these cards are fantastic! I especially love the one with the butterfly. It does look like stained glass--absolutely gorgeous. I also like the playful look of your other cards. Thanks so much for sharing this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous embossing and I love the rich colors on the first card, and the second two are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of these cards are adorable! I love the embossing you did! So very cute! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Lawnscaping Challenges! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cards, fabulous colour choices & love the embossing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty card! All are fabulous! Love the sentiment on the first one! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome cards! I just love what you did with the "let's play" set!! Thank you for playing a long with us at Lawnscaping Challenges!

    ReplyDelete